Effective: September 19, 2019
Our approach to acceptable use
We believe in a new mode of operation for business and society, based on the following core values—and we partner with people and organizations who share them.
- Empowerment. We empower people to speak in their own voice and take action.
- Collaboration. We aim to help build a society that embraces new tools and processes for sharing and cooperation.
- Participation. We believe decision-making should be open, transparent, collaborative, and focused on those who will be most impacted in their daily lives.
- Sustainability. We help create more sustainable, vibrant, and resilient communities.
- Fairness. We work towards a fairer economy and society.
These values are at the heart of everything we do, including how we design our services to help you target decision-makers, activate grassroots power, and win campaigns.
Our values shape this Acceptable Use Policy in the following ways:
Empowering people to speak in their own voice and take action
Our services offer tremendous flexibility for you to run powerful campaigns. Empowerment also implies responsibility, and we require you to be responsible for using the services in a legal and ethical manner.
Building a society that embraces new tools and processes for sharing and cooperation
We believe in building affordable and sophisticated engagement tools for campaigns of all sizes. To do that, we have to protect some aspects of our services and products from unauthorized copying and use that undermines our ability to service more campaigns.
Making decisions that are open, transparent, collaborative, and focused on those who are most impacted
We are upfront about our values and what qualifies as acceptable content and use of New/Mode’s products and services. No surprises here.
Creating more sustainable, vibrant and resilient communities
We want to help you build strong relationships with your supporters, not spam them.
Working for a fairer economy and society
Our goal is to offer services that benefit from the network effects of subscribers who hold common values. Our acceptable use policy is geared toward building trust not just between you and New/Mode, but among New/Mode subscribers. Your use of New/Mode’s products and services can impact the effectiveness of campaigns for a fairer economy and society in positive and negative ways. We want to help you make a bigger positive impact.
What our acceptable use policy means for you
Under this policy, we reserve the right to remove content that is inconsistent with the spirit of the guidelines, even if it is not forbidden by the letter of the policy. This applies to all New/Mode “services”—that is, all websites owned or operated by New/Mode, and any related websites, sub-domains and pages), as well as any hosted services New/Mode operates.
Use your best judgment and think not just about how your use can effect New/Mode’s ability to provide great services to you, but also to the other important movements and causes working with New/Mode services to make the world fairer and more sustainable.
Without affecting any other remedies available to us, New/Mode may permanently or temporarily terminate or suspend a user’s account or access to the services without notice or liability if New/Mode (in its sole discretion) determines that a user has violated this Acceptable Use Policy.
Here’s what we won’t allow
- Compromising the integrity of our systems. This could include probing, scanning, or testing the vulnerability of any system or network that hosts our services.
- Tampering with, reverse-engineering, or hacking our services; circumventing any security or authentication measures; or attempting to gain unauthorized access to the services, related systems, networks, or data.
- Modifying, disabling, or compromising the integrity or performance of the services or related systems, network or data.
- Deciphering any transmissions to or from the servers running the services.
- Overwhelming or attempting to overwhelm our infrastructure by imposing an unreasonably large load on our systems that consume extraordinary resources (CPUs, memory, disk space, bandwidth, etc.), such as:
- Using “robots,” “spiders,” “offline readers,” or other automated systems to send more request messages to our servers than a human could reasonably send in the same period of time by using a normal browser
- Going far beyond the use parameters for any given service as described in its corresponding documentation
- Consuming an unreasonable amount of storage for music, videos, pornography, etc., in a way that’s unrelated to the purposes for which the services were designed.
- Misrepresentation of yourself, or disguising the origin of any content (including by “spoofing”, “phishing”, manipulating headers or other identifiers, impersonating anyone else, or falsely implying any sponsorship or association with New/Mode or any third party).
- Using the services to violate the privacy of others, including publishing or posting other people's private and confidential information without their express permission, or collecting or gathering other people’s personal information (including account names or information) from our services.
- Using our services to stalk, harass, or post direct, specific threats of violence against others.
- Using the Services for any illegal purpose, or in violation of any laws (including without limitation data, privacy, and export control laws).
- Accessing or searching any part of the services by any means other than our publicly supported interfaces (for example, “scraping”).
- Using meta tags or any other “hidden text” including New/Mode’s or our suppliers’ product names or trademarks.
- Using the services to generate or send unsolicited communications, advertising, chain letters, or spam
- Soliciting our users for commercial purposes, unless expressly permitted by New/Mode
- Promoting or advertising products or services other than your own without appropriate authorization
- Posting, uploading, sharing, submitting, or otherwise providing content that:
- Infringes New/Mode’s or a third party’s intellectual property or other rights, including any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, moral rights, privacy rights of publicity, or any other intellectual property right or proprietary or contractual right
- You don’t have the right to submit
- Is deceptive, fraudulent, illegal, obscene, defamatory, libelous, threatening, harmful to minors, pornographic (including child pornography, which we will remove and report to law enforcement, including the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children), indecent, harassing, hateful
- Encourages illegal or tortious conduct or that is otherwise inappropriate
- Attacks others based on their race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or medical condition
- Contains viruses, bots, worms, scripting exploits, or other similar materials
- Could otherwise cause damage to New/Mode or any third party
Content that infringes upon New/Mode community values
New/Mode is mission-driven to make a fairer, more sustainable world. In using the Services, you agree to uphold New/Mode Community Values, and agree not to:
- promote or undertake illegal activity;
- promote the limitation of civil, democratic or minority rights;
- promote non-renewable resource extraction;
- promote low wages, precarious work or the undermining of employment rights;
- promote homophobic, transphobic, racist, sexist, classist or otherwise hateful speech;
- promote regressive taxation and privatization of services; and / or
- promote violence, warfare, or colonization.
In this Acceptable Use Policy, the term “content” means: (1) any information, data, text, software, code, scripts, music, sound, photos, graphics, videos, messages, tags, interactive features, or other materials that you post, upload, share, submit, or otherwise provide in any manner to the services and (2) any other materials, content, or data you provide to New/Mode or use with the Services.
Here’s what we (may) need from you
In using New/Mode services, you agree to abide by this Acceptable Use Policy, and New/Mode accepts no liability for any violation by you of the policy. However, from time-to-time we may require additional action on your part to draw your attention to particularly important areas of the policy. This may include:
- Signed user affirmation of this policy prior to using New/Mode services
- User affirmation that any use of New/Mode services for mass and/or one-to-one communications conform to requirements under any relevant anti-spam and privacy legislation
- User affirmation that custom targets added to New/Mode services are contacted via publicly available contact information